That's what this recipe was supposed to be. Easy.
I tried. I really did.
I didn't think it was possible to mess up---melt chocolate, pour, spread, etc.
Yet, I did.
With the three youngest children banging around the kitchen and the clock showing--late afternoon I should have seen that train coming from a mile away.
It all started on twitter. Mentions here and there about peppermint bark. Small comments. Others trying it.
I had to have some-and-quick. I would whip up a batch or two, or four, and give them as gifts and take them to see family and, and, and....
I pulled out the necessary pans. The chocolate and peppermint. I loved the idea of this so much because we could use dark chocolate and the white chocolate without all the gross stuff. Peppermint without the dyes and artificial flavoring. These were going to be delicious.
Then dodging two of the three children I filled the double boiler with chocolate and went to work. I spread the melted chocolate on the pan and only when I had finished this did I remember that I was supposed to add the cream and peppermint extract to the dark chocolate.
"Oh well, what's the difference?" I thought.
I proceeded to pour these items into the white chocolate and melt them together. All was going well I assumed. Until the white chocolate turned yellow. I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to do that.
More rambunctious children and now the littlest decided she wanted extra attention and I have a boiling mess of yellow chocolate fit for a laboratory.
I pick up my girl poured the second batch of chocolate one-handed onto the cookie sheets. Hoping for the best because really I had no other choice, and spread it out evenly-ish then dropped some peppermint on and shoved the whole thing into the fridge.
I'll tell you that hot liquid chocolate may not be the best time to have the children bounding around the stove. Nope. It is not.
Most of the time I have one to four children around whenever crafting or baking. It just seems to work that way. Unless they are in bed, they sense mama is up to something and they are magnetically drawn to me and whatever I'm doing. Usually, I'm prepared for this. This day, I was not.
I tossed the dishes in the sink and sat down frustrated. That was supposed to be easy. Easy. (The very word that I will now be on the lookout for---tricky trickster that it is). No one else mentioned any difficulty. Theirs came out perfectly. And, delicious.
An hour later we took a chance and tried some after dinner. The surprise was that it tasted pretty good. Almost edible. The problem began two minutes later when it hit the air and it all turned gooey on top. GOOEY. That is no exaggeration.
In fact, if you look at the above photo again I think you will see it.
My family ate it of course. We thought the "peppermint mess", as I have delightfully re-named it, could be stirred into some ice cream and wouldn't that be good? If not a-bit-too-sweet.
Note to Self::
*One might need to read the recipe, regardless of how easy it seems, at least the first time.
*Working with Hot Liquid Chocolate may be better when the children are in school. Or the little one is napping. Or it's not late afternoon when everyone here seems inherently grumpy. Yeah, I'm talking to you mama.
* Try this recipe again, because who knows, next time it might work.
Any recipe mishaps for you this season?